Monday, June 9, 2008

LibGuides, del.icio.us, and the society for creative anachronisms

I've had a delicious account for a couple of months now: http://del.icio.us.com/mcthill.

When I was doing research for the NEIU LibGuides project, I saw LibGuides at other libraries that used tag clouds to organize librarian-vetted websites, courtesy of delicious. They looked so pretty that I just had to give del.icio.us a try. Now all of my public tags relate to English and American literature and/or the research process, and are posted straight to LibGuides.

I've been thinking about revising my tags to include more phrases, as in "16_century_poetry." I find the single-word tags very limiting. I generally ignore the pink bars, only because I don't think that the approval of many users means that the site will be better for my students. For medieval literature, for instance, some of the most popular sites address the interests of gamers and creative anachronists.

No comments: